Design FAQs

How much does an architect cost?

That’s like asking how long a piece of string is. Architect costs vary greatly, depending on the size of the job and the experience of the architect.

At RH Design, we sit down with you at the initial consultation and work out exactly what you’re after. We cost up the project, and provide you with a quote in writing. We then meet you again in person or discuss over the phone in detail the quote, and make any changes that you require.

We continue to liaise with you throughout the entire project, giving you updates throughout the entire build.

How long will it take to design my alterations or additions?

That depends on how big your project is, and if you have a date that the project has to be finished. For example if you have the extended family coming over from England for Christmas, we will work with you to meet your needs before that time.

Before we get started on any build we work with you in creating a realistic timeframe that suits both your budget and needs. 

Is it possible to reduce my house energy costs?

Yes it is. We can look at using insulation, double glazing, sealed framing, and reducing internal moisture on your project.

RH Design have a broad understanding of the ways and means to make your house work efficiently. To see your home’s current energy use, visit the Homestar website.

Please feel free to contact us about any other cost-savings that you have come across, and we will work with you to implement them.

Will I need an engineer on my building project?

Nowadays, with larger rooms and difficult sites an engineer can be a necessity. However, we do have many projects that have been achieved without engineering input. If you are unsure whether you need an engineer or not, contact us and we can help you make the decision. 

Are there costs to submit my building plans to the local town council?

Yes there are. These can be up to $5,000 for any alteration/addition type work. We advise you to check your requirements with your council before you undertake any design work. All councils have an online presence these days, and we suggest that you do some research online or call them to confirm. 

How does my property’s zoning impact on the design of my new home?

Council zoning controls what can be built on the piece of land concerned. Residential zones define the size and bulk of houses in each area. We suggest you investigate these issues early, before you get too far into the design process. Contact us and let us help you with any of your zoning concerns. 

What documents will my architect need before we begin to design my new home or make alterations to my existing home?

We suggest that you collect together all information on your house and property, and put it in one folder. This list will include:

You should also approach your local council and request a ‘property file’, which will give you all the detail they currently hold about your home. Costs for this do vary, but it is generally around $50 for these documents.

<< Back